IVF helps infertile couples to conceive. This advanced science depends on precise conditions and hence the success rate of IVF also varies depending on how well these conditions are supplied.
Factors Affecting IVF Success Rate
- The age of the woman – Older women have poor results.
- The status of the uterus – whether it is absolutely normal
- The quality of the semen must also be cultured.
- Optimal Laboratory conditions.
- The total number, the maturity land the quality of eggs retrieved.
- The total number of embryos that have been transferred
- Cause of infertility– rates are poor in low ovarian reserve, endometriosis, previous genital tuberculosis or very severe male factor with DNA damage.
- Screening and selection of patient
- Preparation of patient physically and mentally
- Whether option like cryopreservation of embryo is available.
- Programs which offer 3rd party reproduction like donor or surrogacy allow better success rates in women nt producing their own eggs or in women who do not have a competent uterus
How is IVF Success Rate Increased?
Females with a good prognosis, that is who are less than 38 years of age have a positive chance of thawed Embryo Transfer or cyro-preservation. They generally have a normal ovarian reserve that is determined through serum day – 3 FSH level and they also have undergone stimulation through the luteal or the Lupron protocol. It has been observed that those who receive donor eggs and have a great prognosis contribute in higher success rates.
The options to enhance the odds of pregnancy are to freeze the extra pre-embryos or to go for repeated attempts. Patients, who are able to produce a fair amount of healthy embryos, can actually have a pregnancy option at their disposal at a comparatively much lower cost, thus resulting in cost efficiency.
The other important factor comprises of the reproductive potential success rates. This is basically the number of pregnancies resulting from a single stimulated cycle. This ought to follow from a fresh embryo transfer cycle along with an additional cycle of the transfer of the cryo-preserved embryo that is obtained from the same stimulation. Apart from being cost effective, this enhances the chances of pregnancy by over 60%.